Lietuviška versija
 
                    VILNIUS
                    UNIVERSITY -
                    425 YEARS
 

      VILNIUS
      UNIVERSITY
      architectural
      ensemble
The Great Courtyard

Introduction >>


 

The Great Courtyard

The Great Courtyard is composed of buildings from different periods, connected via baroque-like expanses to form a dynamic environment. The north and west buildings, constructed in the 16th century, are among the oldest at the Vilnius University. The foundations of the Church of Sts. John were laid in the 14th century, and the bell-tower was erected in the 17th century. The Great Courtyard, whose parameters have remained constant to this day, was finally completed once the south building and 'aula' were built in the mid-18th century.
The last significant changes in the architecture of the Great Courtyard took place after the fires of 1737 and 1749. A third storey was added to the north and west buildings of the university, and the baroque facade of the Church of Sts. John was created at that time. F.Smuglewicz produced a drawing of the restored Great Courtyard in 1786. In it one can see all three wings of the courtyard: on the right is the north wing, in the middle - the west wing with the east tower of the astronomy observatory, and on the left - the south wing with the academic Theatre Hall and part of the new baroque aula. The same Great Courtyard is visible, from the other side, in a coloured 1850 lithograph in J.K.Wilczynski's Vilnius Album. The lofty baroque facade of the Church of Sts. John, the magnificent bell-tower, and the new classical facade (rebuilt by university architect M.?ulcas in 1810) of the Small Aula lend the image an air of distinction and stateliness.
Immortalized in the galleries of the Great Courtyard are the founders, patrons, and celebrated scholars of the university. Hanging on the north wing of a wall of the complex is the Vilnius University banner: "Academia et Universitas Societatis Jesu"; on the coloured frescoes of the facade pilasters - the university coat of arms, and portraits of bishop Walerjan Protasewicz, military leader K.Chodkewicz, and kings Augustus II the Strong and Stanislas Augustus Poniatowski. Above the aula facade hangs the inscription: "Alma Mater Vilnensis".


© 2004 Vilnius University Library
<< Back Top >>

Small Arcade Courtyard S.Daukantas Courtyard L.Stuoka-Gucevičius Courtyard A.Mickiewicz Courtyard S.Stanevičius Courtyard Printing-House Courtyard Observatory Courtyard Library Courtyard M. Daukša Courtyard K.Sirvydas Courtyard M.K.Sarbievius Courtyard The Great Courtyard Church of Sts. John Aula Theatre Hall Rectory Library Faculty of Philology