Study spaces with computers
Each reading room provides study spaces with computers and Internet access (including wireless access).
All those with user card are welcome to use computers.
Members of VU community log in to the Library computers with your username and personal password.
External users will be granted access to the Library’s computer network after they have been registered.
The Library has several computers for the blind and visually impaired.
Members of VU community can get an access to EDUROAM by setting up the device in accordance with the EDUROAM instructions.
External users with the Library user card are also welcome to access wireless network “biblioteka” (device has to be set up in accordance with the EDUROAM instructions).
All users can access wireless network provided by the reading rooms at the Central Library.
Library staff is not responsible for setting up your personal devices to work within the Library’s wireless access.
Wireless network configuration
The following instructions show how to configure SCIC's wireless network in Microsoft Windows Vista, 7, 8 (8.1) or 10 with the standard Windows wireless network configuration tools (graphical user interface may vary slightly in different versions).
When using third party wireless network configuration tools (e.g. provided by notebook manufacturer), procedures can differ.
It is recommended to use standard Windows wireless network configuration environment.
1. Using standard Windows wireless network configuration environment:
A. Right-click on the network icon;
B. Select Open Network and Sharing Center.
2. In the newly opened window select Set up a new connection or network.
3. In the next window select Manually connect to a wireless network.
5. In Manually connect for the wireless network window do the following:
A. Insert name of the wireless network: biblioteka;
B. Select security type: WPA2-Enterprise ;
C. Select encryption type: AES;
D. Check Start this connection automatically if you want the computer to connect automatically to the network if within range;
E. Click Next to continue.
6. In the next window choose Change connection settings.
7. In Connection tab, check Connect automatically when this network is in range if you want the computer to connect automatically to the network within range.
8. In Security tab select the following settings:
A. Security type: WPA2-Enterprise;
B. Encryption type: AES;
C. Authentication method: Protected EAP (PEAP);
D. Select this option if you do not want to enter your login and password every time you connect to network;
E. Uncheck the option Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate;
F. Authentication method: EAP-MSCHAP v2;
G. Uncheck this option to not use Windows logon name and password;
H. Select authentication mode User or computer authentication.
9. After the correct network parameters are saved, new dialogue Additional information is required to connect biblioteka will appear. Select it with your mouse. If the dialogue does not appear automatically:
A. Click on the network icon;
B. Select biblioteka network and click Connect.
10. In Windows Security window:
A. Enter your username (VU Library user card number, e.g. mb000000);
B. Enter your password;
C. Click OK to continue.
11. When connecting to biblioteka, network indication will change.
12. After successfully connecting, select Public location for biblioteka network.
13. You have successfully connected to biblioteka wireless network. Close the window to end configuration process.
14. If you missed or made a mistake in any of the steps, it is recommended to remove biblioteka network completely and repeat the wireless network configuration.
Most of VU Library computers have the standard software, such as MS Windows 7 (in English), MS Office 2016 (in English), English-Lithuanian and Lithuanian-English online dictionary Alkonas, Adobe Reader, VLC player, CD BurnerXP, 7-zip File Manager, et ect. Mendeley Desktop, WinDjVu, Adobe Digitals Edition, internet browsers and other.
Special software at the SCIC:
- SPSS – after you have logged in, choose “Lankytojai (su SPSS paketu)”. The software allows 25 accesses at a time. Therefore, after using the software, please do not forget to log off.
- AutoCAD – IT laboratory (2 places);
- CS6 Adobe Design Std 6 – IT laboratory (2 places), A213 seminar room (12+1 places) in the Communication Reading Room;
- Matlab – IT laboratory (2 places);
- Maple 16 Academic – IT laboratory (1 place);
- SolidWorks – IT laboratory (4 places), A213 seminar room (12+1 places) in the Communication Reading Room;
- Origin Pro 8.6 – IT laboratory (1 place);
- Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Suite – IT laboratory (4 places), A213 seminar room (12+1 places) in the Communication Reading Room;
- R – IT laboratory (8 places);
- RStudio – IT laboratory (8 places);
- Pandoc – IT laboratory (8 places);
- MikTeX – IT laboratory (8 places).
Special software at the Central Library:
- SPSS: Group Work Room B1 (5 places), Philosophy Reading Room, Historical Sources Reading Room and Lithuanian Studies Reading Room after logging in, choose “Lankytojai (su SPSS paketu)”. The software allows 25 accesses at a time. Therefore, after using the software, please do not forget to log off;
- Calibre, Sigil, Adobe Digital Editions – Group Work Room B1;
- Morphological dictionaries of ancient and modern Greek – Lithuanian languages – Philosophy Reading Room.
The software for the blind and visually impaired is also available in the Library.